Member for Farrer, Sussan Ley today welcomed the release of the 2016 Defence White Paper, which sets out the Coalition Government’s comprehensive and responsible long-term plan to ensure Australia’s national security.
It is the culmination of detailed analysis of our strategic environment, Defence’s priorities and objectives, and the capabilities required to achieve these outcomes and an increase in the Australian Government’s Defence spending by $29.9 billion over the next decade, delivering the strategies and plans set out in the 2016 White Paper.
Ms Ley said the White Paper’s Integrated Investment Program will deliver substantial benefits for the Albury Wodonga and Riverina regions including;
- Redevelop the Albury-Wodonga Military Area and key infrastructure over the next decade. This represents an investment of up to $350 million over the decade to 2025-26, with a further investment of around $50 million in the decade between 2025-26 and 2035-36.
- A small arms ammunition test facility will be constructed in Benalla.
- The storage distribution and logistics facilities at Bandiana will be upgraded over the next decade to 2025-26.
- Upgrading a range of support bases and recruitment training facilities, such as the Army Recruitment Training Centre (Blamey Barracks) at Kapooka, and Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) Base Wagga.
- Investment at Kapooka is planned to total around $400 million to 2025-26, and around $400 million at RAAF Base Wagga in the same period. In the decade from 2025-26 to 2035-36, an additional about $40 million will be invested at RAAF Wagga, and about $120 million at Kapooka.
The 2016 Defence White Paper, Integrated Investment Program and Defence Industry Policy Statement are available at www.defence.gov.au/whitepaper
“Defence is already a significant employer in our area, which has important flow-on effects for the local economy. Perhaps just as importantly, Australians can be confident that the Turnbull Government will continue to deliver on its most important task – defending our nation and protecting and promoting our national interests.’’
“The investments outlined in the Government’s 2016 Defence White Paper will strengthen our Defence Force and provide a welcome boost to the local economy.”