Federal Member for Farrer Sussan Ley today announced five local community grants through the Australian Government’s Building Better Regions Fund (BBRF) totalling $122,606.
In Griffith to congratulate recipients of three successful grant projects, Ms Ley said tangible financial support like this really can help transform and build local communities, drive economic growth, and ensure our region remains vibrant and prosperous into the future.
• $20,000 grant to help deliver Griffith’s MYSKATE festival in September 2018, a week-long arts event for youth in the Riverina based around the city’s brand new Griffith skate park. (Picture: courtesy Area News)
• $17,500 towards a Griffith Affordable Housing Strategy, addressing critical areas of affordability, diversity, accessibility and innovative design, to address shortages and improve availability in the market.
• $15,606 to the Griffith & District Football Association to help deliver a 2019 Soccer Youth Cup. The event, for boys & girls aged from 6 to 17, will attract football clubs and associations from across NSW and the ACT.
• $50,000 on planning for the Moama to Echuca Bridge Arts Project, which aims to establish a visual art precinct featuring indigenous culture and history and a walk/cycle track across the existing and new Murray river bridges.
• $19,500 for a regional smartphone photography competition, with pop up exhibitions in Albury, Benalla, Griffith, Wagga Wagga and Wangaratta. Coordinated by the Personnel Group, it will allow local youth to explore their pictorial talent.
Minister for Regional Development, Territories and Local Government John McVeigh said the BBRF continues to deliver major benefits for rural, regional and remote communities throughout Australia.
“This $4m in community Investments from the Fund supports activities from expanded local events and strategic planning to improving leadership and capability,” Dr McVeigh said.
A full list of successful round two projects under the Community Investment stream is available here. Projects under the BBRF “Infrastructure Stream” are expected to be announced shortly.